Thomson ranked # 1 worldwide in broadband modems and gateways in 2008
Date: Thu, 03/12/2009 - 20:42
Thomson, worldwide leader of services to content creators, announced that the combination of the two latest quarterly reports of Dell’Oro Group – the trusted source for market information about the networking and telecommunications industries – places Thomson as #1 worldwide supplier of broadband modems & gateways
According to the Dell’Oro Group’s “Quarterly Access Reports (4Q08)” for DSL and Cable CPE[i]”, Thomson consolidated its worldwide leading market position with 13.9 million units shipped in 2008, establishing its market volume share at 14.3%.
These figures both in terms of market share and units shipped underline the strength of Thomson’s commitment to supporting its client base with cutting-edge service gateways as the platform of choice for the delivery of next generation advanced services.
The announcement of these figures follows the launch of ground-breaking new solutions and the achievement of several industry firsts.
Key highlights include:
- The November 2008 announcement that the company’s TG787 residential gateway was the first product of its type to receive certification from the Digital Living Network Alliance;
- At Broadband World Forum last year, Thomson launched a complete new range of 802.11n gateways, allowing telecom operators to offer high-quality video over wireless and to add multiple services for an even more compelling service offering, generating increased revenue for operators;
- In launching the TG789n Ultra Broadband Home Gateway in September 2008, Thomson became the first vendor to introduce an ultra broadband residential gateway for deployment in mixed network scenarios: ADSL2+, VDSL2 and fiber;
- Also in September 2008, Thomson underlined its commitment to environmental sustainability by launching the new ECO Gateway which combines very high performance with minimised energy consumption and low impact manufacturing and delivery using largely recyclable materials;
- Over the past year Thomson has showcased its leadership in service delivery platforms and multiple play application portfolios for the connected home; among them the Advanced Cable Gateway, a consumer friendly, future-proof home entertainment and communications hub platform designed to become the core technology of the digital home. This universal platform offers fully customisable triple- and quad-play services, hosts multi-line telephony via DECT wireless phones, and integrates an embedded multimedia terminal adaptor (eMTA) and WiFi router for service delivery to dual-mode phones for fixed-mobile convergence;
- In support of the latest developments in DOCSIS CPE standards which allow high speed services to be bundled onto cable infrastructures, Thomson last year announced the introduction of its new range of cable modems and VoIP gateway otherwise known as an eMTA or embedded multimedia terminal adapter compliant with DOCSIS® 3.0.
This reflects Thomson’s commitment to delivering an ever greater diversity of compelling multi-play services including bandwidth-hungry applications via enhanced residential gateways for all network operators.